Thursday, July 17, 2008

Latterman

Is there really enough that I can say about this album other than it's probably my favorite album by one of my favorite bands and probably one of my favorite albums ever? However, listening to them this morning at work led me to make this post. Although, I really would be surprised that anyone hadn't heard of this band...

With the release of this album, it was confirmed Huntington Long Island's Latterman had returned from hiatus. With comparisons to Hot Water Music and Dillinger Four, they kick off their second full length entitled 'No Matter Where We Go...!' with the electrifying track 'Doom! Doom! Doom!' and launch into their unique brand of punk.

With driving bass lines, melodic guitars, and thought provoking yet politically relevant lyrics bassist Matt Canino and guitarist Phil Douglas trade vocals as they lead the band through 12 tracks of fist pumping songs that are better heard than described. Lyrically tackling subjects from the importance of your friends to sexism in punk rock to the effects of gentrification, this band actually touches on subjects they, themselves experience.

However it couldn't last. Shortly after the release of their third album '...We Are Still Alive', bassist Matt Canino announced his departure from the band citing a variety of reasons including a misrepresenation of the band as well as trouble with their label.

Matt now lives in Olympia, WA and did play in Shorebirds with Chris Bauermeister of Jawbreaker, but I recently discovered they are no longer a band. He does, however, still run Rumbletowne Records. Drummer Pat Schramm now plays with Bridge and Tunnel.

yo, get into it

Favorite Track: My Bedroom Is Like For Artists

Rating: 10 Out Of 10

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah I love that album too. It's too bad Shorebirds are already broken up.

Check out Phil's new band Iron Chic http://www.ironchic.net/

bruce e. kinesis said...

Right after I posted this I checked the Rumbletowne site and read that.

Thanks for the info, will definitely check it out.

Rob Pettinato said...

Latterman = good.

Bridge and Tunnel = the complete opposite of good.

bruce e. kinesis said...

Sir you are sadly mistaken.

What you meant to say must have been
Bridge and Tunnel = pure awesomeness

Don't worry I'll be here to catch your typos.